On this page:
This report has been prepared based on the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines and Oil & Gas Sector Disclosures to the Core option. It represents a balanced and reasonable presentation of our company’s social, environmental and economic performance.
president and chief executive officer
We measure progress by monitoring selected performance indicators. These indicators provide insight on the environmental, economic and social impacts and benefits of our business and are used to continuously improve performance.
The performance data section of our 2016 Report on Sustainability includes social, environmental and economic performance indicators from the 2015 reporting year. Data is reported by significant operating business segments and consolidated to Suncor-wide totals, where feasible. A five-year trend is provided, where applicable.
Environmental performance indicators are reported on operated assets only, unless otherwise stated. Economic performance indicators are reported in a manner consistent with our 2015 Annual Report.
Select 2015 economic indicators have been calculated according to the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
Footnotes available in performance data tables provide additional information for specific boundary conditions, changes in methodology and definitions.
Third party assurance
Ernst & Young LLP was engaged to provide independent assurance on selected performance indicators for Suncor’s Report on Sustainability for the year ended Dec. 31, 2015.
Read the Independent Assurance report and the performance indicators reviewed (PDF, 4 pp., 47 KB)
Any data point that is accompanied by the symbol has been independently reviewed and assured by Ernst & Young LLP.
Business segment structure changes and explanations on re-statements or changes to historical data are reflected accordingly in the introductory statements for the following:
- Suncor-wide (rollup of all data where relevant and applicable)
- Oil Sands (includes the oil sands mining and upgrading facility but does not include Syncrude)
- In Situ (includes Firebag and MacKay River)
- Exploration & Production (see additional information below) — reported as:
- North America Onshore
- East Coast Canada (Terra Nova offshore platform only)
- Refining & Marketing (R&M) (facilities include the Montreal, Edmonton, Commerce City and Sarnia refineries, the Mississauga lubricants plant, the Montreal sulphur plant, and various Canadian pipelines and terminals. See additional information below)
- Renewable Energy – reported as:
- St. Clair ethanol plant
- Wind (Suncor-operated wind energy facilities)
- Major Projects
When data for performance indicators was not available a line entry (--) appears in the table.
Exploration & Production
Suncor’s Exploration & Production (E&P) segment consists of offshore operations off the east coast of Canada and in the North Sea, and onshore assets in North America, Libya and Syria.
- White Rose
- Terra Nova
- Unconventional natural gas properties in Western Canada.
- Buzzard and Golden Eagle offshore projects (U.K. sector of the North Sea)
- Syria and Libya facilities (Note: operations in Syria have been suspended indefinitely due to political unrest and resulting sanctions. Production in Libya has been substantially shut-in due to political unrest, with the timing of return to normal operations remaining uncertain).
As Suncor is the operator and has significant impact over the Terra Nova platform off the east coast of Newfoundland, only environmental performance indicators for this facility are included in the East Coast Canada performance indicator section of this report.
Suncor does not have control over the other joint ventures; however, it can be considered to have significant influence due to board voting rights. These joint ventures are not deemed to pose significant risk to Suncor’s sustainability performance and thus are not included in the performance indicators.
Refining & Marketing
Suncor is part of several joint ventures in our Refining & Marketing segment, including the Sun-Canadian Pipe Line Company Limited, UPI Energy LP, Pioneer Petroleum, Trans-Northern Pipeline, Portland-Montreal Pipeline, Alberta Products Pipeline (APPL), Sun Petrochemicals, ParaChem Chemicals L.P. (ParaChem), and with numerous terminal sites.
As Suncor has control and significant impact over the Sun-Canadian Pipeline Company Limited, applicable performance indicators for this entity are included in the Refining and Marketing performance data section.
Suncor holds a 51% interest in ParaChem, which owns and operates a petrochemicals plant located adjacent to the Montreal refinery. Suncor does not exercise significant control or influence over this wholly independent operation, despite the majority ownership position. This investment is not deemed to pose a significant risk to Suncor’s sustainability performance, and thus is also not included in the performance indicators.